Thursday, January 5, 2012

This week

I found this week of running very challenging due to the weather changing to be so cold.  I find that the coldness of the weather gets into my head the night before which makes it extremely difficult to get outside early.  I find that I can overcome this with positive motivation and visualization the night before and by slowly buying clothes that will make running in the cold more comfortable.  It's not about making it "easy," but it does not seem like a good idea to run too much longer without getting something designed for running on my head.  I've improvised by using running socks on my hand, but even that can only go so far.  

It's weird, but I think this running thing is for real.  I'm excited that I am able to run with a friend tomorrow (Saturday) at 6am.  He's the one that I trained with for my first half marathon.  I'm delighted that I'm going to have the opportunity to run my first full marathon this year (either October or November).  I wish I could register for it so I really would be committed to it, but that will have to wait until the Spring.

One week until my first cold 5k race in Etown.  My goal is to finish and to have a good time with it.  I"m not sure what type of run walk ratio I should use, but I can fairly easily run 3.1 miles except that it isn't too fast (around 12 min mile).  My goal for the last 5k (of the 3 in the Frozen foot series) is that I will get under 30 minutes or faster than 10min/mile.