Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The week of Frozen Foot race 2

I have had to 30 minute runs this week.  One happened Monday after work and the other happened today (Wednesday) also after work.  I find that it has been very challenging to get up at 4:45am, but I know the benefits of running outweigh the negatives of running.  Anyway, I ran using a 4/1 ratio on Monday.  It was pretty intense, but I made it averaging just a little bit over 11:00 min/mile.  My effort was fairly high on this as my last 1/4 mile is completely uphill on the way back to my house.  Typically I try to run the last mile or so without any walk breaks because that's what I've did at my first 5K race of this series.  I have decided that I want to get under 30 minutes, but I'm not to worried if this doesn't happen this week.  I'm running still to have a smile on my face.  At this point I think I'll run at a 3/1 ratio since that worked extremely well for me tonight.  The difficulty I've been having for my runs during the week is that it is difficult to get more than 30 minutes of running.  However, I enjoy the weekend runs because time is not as much of an issue.

Another thing that I keep in mind as I run these 5K races is that I registered for them in order to get me out and running... they aren't so that I become fast.  My goal isn't to become fast... but rather I want to become more fit and my ultimate goal is to finish a marathon... no matter how long it takes.  I want to finish it with a smile on my face and to be able to walk after I complete it.  I believe with walk breaks as suggested by Jeff Galloway that I will be able to accomplish it by following his training method.  It will take lots of sweat and tears and lots of time, but the satisfaction of completing it will be worth it in the end.

I'll explore how exactly I got into running in the first place in another blog post.