Sunday, February 5, 2012

Why run?

I have learned though my morning runs that not everyone likes to run... In addition, it seems quite curious that I haven't seen many people running out before 5:30am (or many people out at all for that matter).  I think this is probably for many different reasons.  One possible reason is that they will run later and that they are sleeping at 5am.  This is possible as I typically see some other runners out when I run at about 6 or 7am on Saturdays.  Another reason could be that they just don't like running for any reason.  I don't understand this, but it's possible.  Another reason is that they don't like to run in the cold.  This is very possible because I know that this is the first winter that I have consistently run outside.  I just determined to myself that this was the year that I was going to run outside.

I titled this post "why run?".   What's my answer?  Well, for one it's because I like it.  I've already wrote a post about my motivations, but this is deeper than that.  Obviously I run for the physical benefits.  These days I run because I have challenges at work and my running  makes my brain function much more clearly and I am MUCH more focused.  Furthermore, I have found that just by running I become a better husband, father, counselor, and a better friend.

Could I accomplish this without running?  Maybe... but for me I know that this is an essential part of my life.  Before you think that I have completely gone off the "deep end" I want to make a point that I am not allowing this to negatively impact my family time.  I am primarily running in the AM and then heading off to work (Emma is in bed for all of this) or when I run on Saturdays I generally am running early 6 or 7am and I get back before too much has happened.  I'm so thankful for my wife as she understand that I am a better husband and father if I run so she provides the freedom to run those long runs on Saturday even if that means I missing a little family time.  The benefit for her is that I am much happier and that I am motivated to get things done around the house.  I even sometimes have the opportunity like I did this week to bring Cindy breakfast in bed (eggs and OJ).

Running has provided so many benefits and I'm excited to see what happens and how things change for the positive as I start to ramp up the mileage to get me ready for Marine Corps full marathon October 28, 2012.  Only 30 days and 18 hours until I can register (March 7, 2012).