Friday, March 9, 2012

Dates for long runs

Training officially starts for the Marine Corps Marathon in a few weeks.  I have a gradual buildup to beyond where I have established my base.  So far my longest run ever has been 13.1 miles and I've done that distance three times in the last three years.

I am excited to see all of this on a calendar so that I can plan things around these runs.  I figure a 13 mile run should allow about 3 hours for me to run it slowly.  That means for a 26 mile run I'll need about 6 hours.  That will require a lot of things to line up correctly.  One of which is finding a place to run that I won't be bored out of my mind.  I'm still working on that as Harrisburg and even Hershey would be difficult to run for 6 hours and not have issues with crossing lots of traffic. 

Dates for LONG runs
June 2 - 9 miles
June 16 - 10.5 miles
June 30 - 12 miles
July 14 - 14 miles (this will be my longest run to date)
July 28 - 17 miles
August 18 - 20 miles (almost there!)
September 8 - 23 miles
September 29 - 26 miles (the entire race distance!)

My goal after this will be to taper running no more than 6 or 7 miles on the weekend.
Then Race day October 28, 2012!