Saturday, May 19, 2012

Hill training run 12 mile

Today I completed my most challenging run to date.  This sounds crazy right?  Well, due to the hills and heat it made it much more difficult than the three half marathons that I have completed.  Whereas I didn't run 13.1 miles I did have an elevation gain of over 1000 feet.  According to my Garmin watch and everything that I know it that made it extra difficult. 

At first I emailed my coach (Coach Larry with Team in Training) and asked him if he thought I should do this run even though I haven't officially started my training with TNT.  He said due to me training so well over the winter and spring that he thought I could do it without getting injured.

This run was empowering because now I know I can do the hills near Messiah College.  I have confidence that my training will make sure that I cross the finish line in October with a smile on my face.  It was also cool that I met three people who will also be running the MCM.  They were from the York team so I will train with them on days that I'm running closer to York.

Next week I'm only running eight miles with TNT.  We always have a "fallback" week every 3 weeks to make sure our body is given a break.  We will be running in Wildwood Park so that will be fun.  I'm guessing a lot of it will be in the shade.

The more I spend time with those on the team the more passionate I am about my running.  I feel empowered to run and to become a better husband and father.  For me all of these things are related.

As of this moment I have raised $435 which is 17% of my total goal of $2,500.  Would you support me?  I'm doing all of this running for a purpose higher than myself.  I'm running in memory of Luke Belmont.  When I have a rough spot in my training I think about all that he went through in his struggle.  It truly does give me energy when I think about him and others like him.  If you would like to donate you can go to my personal fundraising website: http://pages.teamintraining.org/cpa/corps12/natewagner08

My goal is to raise $1,000 by the time the "kickoff" of my training which will be Wednesday, May 30th.  Will you help me?  A cool way to donate would be to donate $1/mile I run.  26.2 would be an awesome donation amount.