Friday, June 8, 2012

MCM Training update 06/08/12

I just realized that I haven't updated my blog for about three weeks or so.  I have been running 4 days a week since then.  Team in Training suggests that you run Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and the run the long run on Saturday.  This has worked very well for me.  Typically I have been running about 30 minutes on my weekday runs, but for this week and last I ran 5 miles on Thursday.  This was mostly due to the fact that I had more time in my schedule and that I had a desire to go further.  I won't go through each of my runs, but I have found that I'm getting faster and stronger even though I'm not even working on getting faster.  My goal is to finish the Marine Corps Marathon.  All that needs to happen is that I cross that finish line without being picked up at any of the "cut off" places.

Since this run I have ran a run that was "about 8" at Wildwood Lake in Harrisburg.  Then I ran an "at least" 10 mile run in Hershey.  Tomorrow I will be running an "at least" 12 mile run at City Island. 

I have started working on my fueling strategy.  So far I've been taking a Clif Bar (r) shot gel citrus- "Key in on this lemon + lime masterpiece. Light, refreshing, and ready to rock, run, and roll."  To find out more click here.  It was worked fairly well for me, but I'm looking for more "consistent energy" and for that I like to look no further than than shot blocks.  I'm learning more about this, but if you want to learn more feel free to go here.

One of the huge benefits of running with Team In Training/The Leukemia Lymphoma Society is that I am running for something/someone greater than myself.  When the going gets tough I think about how those who are fighting with Leukemia or Lymphoma have/are struggling.  That is what gives me the strength to keep going when I don't think I can go any further.

Tomorrow I run 12 miles with the team and I will write a post to tell all about it.  Going back to fueling I will have at least a banana, peanut butter/honey and toast and my Greek yogurt (Chobani).

Thanks for your support!