Saturday, July 7, 2012

MCM Training run with TNT on 7/07/12



Today I went on a hot and muggy run with Team in Training.  We started at 7am instead of our normal time because of the severe heat.  I believe by 8 or 9am it was in the 80's and it felt like it was for sure.  I'm very thankful for the motivation that I receive by running with others and running for a cause greater than myself.  Running to beat cancer is so much more motivating than just running for myself.  I would not have run at all today because I would have told myself that "it was too hot."  The thing is that those with cancer don't have that luxury.  They have to deal with it regardless of what is happening.  I was smart about it by making sure that I was very hydrated the days leading up to the run.  In addition, my coach made sure there was water almost every 2 miles.  I also carried about 10 oz of water with me as well.

One of my teammates and I decided that it was too hot to try to run continually so we did walk breaks.  We started with 5 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking.  This lasted for a few miles, but then we landed on 3 minutes of running and 1 of walking.  The cool thing about this is that I feel great after this run.  We ran 7.24 miles and according to the schedule I was supposed to run 7 miles.  I feel good about how I handled the heat.  It was not nearly as bad as I anticipated it being.  Don't get me wrong there were significant challenges, but I felt like it went very well.

After I finished my run, took my shower, and had lunch, I took my wife's car to get an oil change and I stopped by Dunkin Donuts to get a large cold coffee beverage... I chose the new oreo coolata coffee version.  It didn't have a very strong coffee taste, but it cooled my core temperature while I was waiting for my wife's car to be finished.

I very much appreciated having Coach Mike, Linda and Shannon and all the help they provided for the run.  I do my best with trying to make sure that I'm telling myself "happy thoughts" and saying positive self-talk and having them check on me on a regular basis really helped.  I also very much appreciate being able to run with my fellow teammates regardless of what race they are training to race in the fall.  They have become my running family and I'm very thankful for them.

Running in memory of Luke Belmont is what gets me out on these very hot days or early mornings.  Thanks for your support!

I've raised $2,310.40 so far to beat cancer.  Please go to my fundraising site.  My personal goal is to raise a total of $3,500 by August 1, 2012.  Will you join me in this?  Every mile I run is to beat cancer.


http://pages.teamintraining.org/cpa/corps12/natewagner08

Wags the Runner "running happy!"