Sunday, September 2, 2012

9/1/12 run part 2 nutrition

I wanted to ruminate about how my nutrition is working and my blog about the run was getting long so I wanted to do a separate post about my nutrition.

First off I try to drink at least 2 Nalgene bottles of water during the work day and try to drink 32 more ounces of water by 7 or 8 pm. Typically that would get me to about 90 oz of water per day. Outside of that I normally have chocolate milk after my weekday runs.

During my longer runs 10+ miles I decided to switch things up and try out the products from Hammer Nutrition.  Two separate podcasts have recommended these products so I thought I'd give them a try.  So far I've tried some of the Hammer Gel's and the perpeteum solids during this most recent long run of 15 miles.  I also exclusively drank water at the water stops (TNT has them every 2-3 miles or so).  This worked okay, but it was not enough for this length of run.  I think that when I do my 18 mile run at Messiah in a 3 weeks I will be much more prepared.  This time I only took 2 Hammer gels which might have lasted the 2 hours... but not 3 hours.  The Perpeteum solids were helpful, but they talk about them as a "secondary" source of nutrition... not as a primary source.  Next time I want to have either to use the powder form or buy Heed (sports drink) as well.

I know a lot of this doesn't make any sense to some of you.   If you want more information about this go to http://www.hammernutrition.com/

After the run I had a chocolate beverage that is called Recoverite which is recommended for consumption as soon after the workout as possible.

So my plan for the Harrisburg Half (depending on how hot it will be) - as of 9/2 the predicted High is 80 degrees with a fair amount of humidity.

If this is correct I will be bringing with me 4 Hammer gels, canister of 6 tablets of Perpetuem solids and if I can get it in time some Heed sports drink (I'll bring it in a throw away plastic bottle for the first 1 - 1 1/2 hours of the race.

I will also make sure I have recoverite afterwards as well.  By the way, I don't get paid to promote these products so take it from a satisfied customer :-).