Saturday, September 29, 2012

9.28.12 training run 14 miles

Today I met with the York team in Dover, PA for our training run.  I enjoy it when we join teams because they have a lot of cool people and they have a bunch of people running the Marine Corps Marathon.  Today it was particularly a good thing as a ran more than half of the 14 miles with runners from the York team.  We had an emotional "mission moment" and I chose to use that to really inspire me as the monies that I'm raising is going to help find a cure for blood cancer.  If you can't tell, I'm very much doing this for someone outside of myself.

I made a few decisions about nutrition that I wanted to mention before I talked about my experience running a very strong run.  I decided not to use any nutrition except what was on the course.  Therefore, I left my water belt in my car and I decided NOT to use any hammer nutrition on the run.  This ended up being OK and not coming back to haunt me... except maybe with the recovery because my legs feel slightly more tired than is typical.

It was a very cool day.  I am very grateful for the lower temps as it is helping me realize how well I am trained and that I really can do this!  I keep telling myself to "run happy" and to enjoy as much of the run as possible.   I think the first 10 miles were pleasant and I did not have any issues and my spirits were very high.  At this point I realized that I was running fairly fast for me and that I kept doing this that I would get my best half marathon time and maybe even finish 14 miles quicker than that personal record time of 2:31 minutes that I got in the Harrisburg Half in 2010.  I'm going to spoil the surprise and tell you that I did get the 14.1 miles in and my time was 2:30.  I am so excited to know that all of this hard work all these months has paid off.  I want to take a few moments to thank my coaches, mentors and teammates for an amazing season so far.  Today was my last long run before my 20 mile run in Hershey next week.  I'm excited for that and know that I have been prepared for that and that I will make it to the end with a smile on my face.

A cool fact that I want to point out is that I beat my personal record for the half marathon (unofficial of course) by not running a race.  I did not feel that great this morning as I've had an interesting week at work and the reality that I have not gotten my normal amount of sleep.  This just goes to show that all my hard work and effort is paying dividends and that I will rock MCM.

As of this posting there are exactly 28 days 12 hours and 32 minutes until I run my first marathon!