Tuesday, November 13, 2012

early AM difficulty

Once it gets cold outside I have a hard time getting up early to go to the gym or to go for a run.  The trouble is that even though I'm have everything organized and laid out the night before I still often choose to either turn off the alarm before it goes off or I choose to go back to sleep.  This is a major problem right now because I don't have the type of accountability of a training schedule.  On one hand I want to give my body a chance to repair itself and relax, but I don't want to loose all of the progress I made over the last 6-9 months.

I feel better than I have in a long time.  I am trying to make wise food decisions as well because I don't want to put on the weight that I lost during this training cycle.  I think it will be important for me to develop specific goals for my time at the gym.  I am considering starting two programs to help me stay focused.  I know a huge weakness of mine from running the marathon in 2012 was my abs.  I did not do anything specific for my abs and I suffered for it during the last 6 miles of the marathon.  This year, I going to make doing ab work a huge priority.

I want to work on push ups as well to get my upper body in shape a little bit more.  The other day at the gym I tried to do some push-ups and I realized how much work I want to do to make myself feel stronger and better about myself.  Specifically my goal is to make it to the gym Wednesday and Fridays.  Ideally I would be able to run Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.  Or I could get to the gym to do core work Monday, Wednesday, Friday and run Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.  I'm going to try this out and see how things are going.

I know that in order for me to improve my half-marathon times as much as I want... it will be essential for me to run a lot and to also work on other areas of my body.  The purpose of all this is not just to get more half-marathon metals (although I will do that).  It's also not about getting significantly faster (although I also hope that I can do that).  It is about getting healthier and making sure that I keep myself accountable and to involve my fellow runners and friends that I have made through Team In Training.  I need accountability and I hope by posting this and being honest about how things are going that this will keep me on track.

Bottom line: running half marathons is about me being staying healthy so that I can live a happy and healthy life.  This will hopefully mean that I will be able to spend lots of time with Emma and Cindy.    Long term/life goal is to be able to run until I'm 100 years old.

When I figure out exactly what my plan is for the gym I will post it here.  Thanks and feel free to ask me how my running and my time in the gym is going.

At this point I plan to run the Marine Corps Historic Half Marathon in Fredericksburg, VA on May 19th.  I can officially register on January 23, 2013.  It seems as though I always need to have a goal in ind to keep me motivated.  So that looks like it will be my goal for May.  My plan is to use this to get me out on those cold mornings.  Running in the cold and snow can be fun and also a little tricky on a weekday morning.  I enjoy the cooler temps and I try not to complain about it if it's cold and rainy... because the humidity is probably the hardest time to run in my opinion.  Until next time.... I'll see you out there.