Saturday, November 24, 2012

Turkey Trot and 5 mile run

Here is a late Turkey Trot walk/run report. My wife and daughter came to this event with me. This was the 4th year my wife and I walked this event. This the second year Emma participated.

Before the race I was able to meet up with some of my TnT teammates and then I met a fellow runner who listens to the Extra Mile podcast.

The goal for this run was first to have fun and then to have short bursts of running. This year there were a lot more runners so it was pretty crowded. The run was very well organized and I think we will continue to do this run each year.

We were able to do some shot bursts of running. At about mile my daughter started to get fussy so I picked her up out of the stroller an carried her the res of the way. With about a .25 mile left I decided that I would run the rest of the way to the finish. This was fun and I think she enjoyed it. I pushed to the end even though I wasn't the easiest because I KNEW I could do it. Essentially I ran a MARATHON so I can do this. :-). We got to the end and enjoyed a slice of the pies and the other plunder. That's the end of my Turkey Troy story. We had a fun time :-)

Today I organized a 5-6 mile run that started at City Island. There were 4 of us. We all said that we would not have made it out if it weren't for the accountability of meeting this morning. We ran up Negly Park. This was a similar course as I ran for my first run with TNT earlier this year. There is something about running with people that makes it much more enjoyable and I am able to push without even knowing it :-).

I plan to keep organizing runs during this period in between seasons. I won't make it out for an organized run next week but I hope to do it again in the near future.