Saturday, December 1, 2012

12/1/12 update

This week I ran outside on Monday. I took off Tuesday and Wednesday (not on purpose). Made it to the gym for a treadmill workout on Thursday and on Friday I did the stationary bike at Planet Fitness. Overall, I'd say it was a successful week of exercise. The interesting thing is that I was pretty hard on myself for not getting up on Tuesday. Then when I didn't get up on Wednesday I felt even worse about it! That's what made it "easier" on Thursday because I knew how I would feel both mentally and physically if I didn't go so I made sure I went. My most recent thought/quote that has helped is "When the alarm goes of I have a choice: Go back to sleep and dream I am running. or Put on my shoes. Hit the road and make my dreams come true. Choose wisely." I don't know about you, but I feel amazing after I workout. I find that just going to the gym makes a huge difference.

I have been really thinking about what I will do as far as a spring half marathon. Until this weekend I was set on doing the Historic Half-Marathon in Fredricksburg, VA. I'm not so sure that's going to happen now. We have other financial obligations and I'm not sure that it makes sense for us to spend several hundred dollars to stay in a hotel when we have my undergrad loans that we REALLY want to have paid off (not to mention Graduate loans too). At this point (Dec 1st), I think I might still run an unofficial half marathon in the Spring (or try to find one closer). If I run an unofficial half I would need to make sure I have water stops set up along the way to make sure it is a good experience. I won't be able to officially break the two hour mark for a half marathon in the spring, but I will have my sights set on the Harrisburg Half 2013 and I know with the right training and execution that I will certainly be able to get a new PR (anything less than 2:31 will be a new personal record) and if everything works out I would get sub two hours for a half marathon.

I still need to talk with my wife about all that I just posted, but I think that creating a extremely strong base for the half is my plan. I am also working on creating a plan on exactly what exercises I should do for my abs, how many and the rest of the specifics of that workout. I know that my workout for abs should be over 30 minutes (per Coach Larry), but I'm still trying to figure out what I should do.

So how am I creating a new habit of getting up during the week to workout?
1. Creating a goal - My goal is to get a sub 2 hour half marathon. This won't just happen. Need commitment and determination and a whole lot of work.
2. Accountability in the AM. I have this to a certain extent but I'm meeting up with anyone. Have friends who are willing to text me at 5am.
3. Having a plan. I need to be more specific about this. I want to have a more specific running and gym plan.

So how can I strengthen number 3? I will do my best to make sure I have a more specific plan on what I will do for my core workout.

I'm excited that I'm doing better getting to the gym. I want to create a habit where it is normal to get up at 445am rather than hitting the alarm. Again, I know what happens if I go to the gym.