Saturday, December 8, 2012

12/8/12 update and more

This week I ran outside Monday and today (Saturday).  Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I did not run outside or go to the gym (Thursday I had breakfast with a friend at 5:30 am).  I made it to the gym on Friday.  Today I had a refreshing run with my TNT friends in Lancaster.  We met at F&M college and did a lovely loop.  I was surprised with my overall time because I gave moderate effort at most and my pace was 10 min/mile (all but the first mile was sub 10:00).  This is very encouraging because even though I ran once and made it to the gym once during the week I am still improving.  This is not to say that I'm going to continue to go to the gym once a week... but I know that I am getting faster and getting much more confidence.

Getting back to the run, I had some good conversation and I also ran a little bit by myself.  I just made sure I could see someone in front of me so that I wouldn't get lost.  I also saw someone who was generally running faster than me and my goal by the time I got the end was to catch up with them.  I managed this and surprised myself.  :-).

I've mentioned before that since I did MCM last year and I'm NOT doing a marathon in 2013 that it has been challenging to have meaningful goals.  I also specifically pointed out in an earlier post that my goal for 2013 is to get faster to the point where I can run a sub-2:00 half marathon.  I know this means that I will need to get "comfortable" with running 9 minute miles (which I'm getting closer).

The 5K races that I will be running are as follows
Resolution 5K  run 12/30/12 at 2pm sharp at Wildwood Park Nature Center  
http://usroadrunning.com/index.php?club_id=1327
Cost:  $14.65 (online)

2013 5k Races
The Frozen Foot Winter Series 2013 - Dates: January 20th - February 17th - March 17th 
Held at Elizabethtown College located at 1 Alpha Drive, Elizabethtown, PA. 17022 
You can do one, two or all three races.  I will be doing all three.
 Go here to find out more: http://usroadrunning.com/index.php?club_id=800
3 race series: $48.25  (online) - http://usroadrunning.com/registration5.php?club_id=800&R=Online
- includes a great long sleeve tech shirt
individual race (no shirt) - online cost: $25.15 use link above

I'm sure I'll race other 5K's but this is what I have for now.

2013 10K races
June 1, 2013 - ArtSHIP 10K
Shippensburg University, Shippensburg, PA 
Racing this to keep me on my "A" game, plus it's really close to where I work and I could run some of the course
Cost: $20 on active.com

2013 Half-Marathon Races
March 9, 2013 - Chambersburg Half
challenging course;
includes long-sleeve t-shirt
http://www.chambersburghalf.org/
- have not officially registered for this race, but this is my top choice right now for a Spring 2013 race.  Goal at this point will be to run faster than 2:31 which is my current PR.  

 September 7, 2013 - Bird-in-Hand Half Marathon
Farmlands of Amish Country.
http://www.bihhalf.com/course-map.php
Course is NOT flat, but will be lots of fun :-).
This race will be my "A" race.  My goal will to be run a sub-2:00 half-marathon.
http://www.youtube.com/user/birdinhandpa?feature=watch
- have not registered yet, but registration is open.

That's the races that I'm planning to run this year.  I'm sure I'll run other 5K's and/or 10K's as well.  Let me know what you're going to run/race this year.


Looking forward to an amazing 2013!