Saturday, January 12, 2013

1/12/13 run

This week was week 1 of the 4 week challenge.  I completed it and I was able to be a little creative as well.  Tuesday morning I went to the gym for a treadmill workout.  Wednesday morning I slept in and had to be creative in the evening.  I decided that I would do 15 minutes of exercise with my daughter before Men's group and then use Wii Fit for the other 15 minutes once I arrived back from Men's group.  So the first 15 minutes is where I decided to run with Emma all around the house.  We'd go from the living room to the dinning room and go back and forth.  Then we ran up the stairs as well.  I also laid down and lifted her up in the air.  I think she had a great time... plus as an added bonus it made her tired :-).  So after that I kept doing the running around the house until Cindy came home and then we eat dinner.  Good times... and all that matters is that I was moving 30 minutes.  Obviously the gym is more difficult, but this was more fun and it fit in my schedule.  My philosophy for exercise has the long-term view that if I enjoy it then I'll do it.

Today, I decided that since the TNT run was going to start only about 5 miles from my house that I would run to the starting point and then run home (since I knew that was the route we were taking).  This worked really well except I did not start quite early enough, but fortunately I told my coach that this was what I was doing and he was able to pick me up after I ran about a 5k and take me to the start.  

Once we got to the start I was able to meet up with the rest of those TNT alumni that decided to run this morning.  I was able to run faster than my old normal today.  I had several miles that were under 10/minute miles.  Actually mile 3-8 were all 10:07 or faster... mile 7 and 8 were 9:17 and 9:37... I'm very pleased with this progress. 

I'm going to try some new things this week on the nutrition front so I'll let you know how that works :-)

My plans for next week include running the first 5K race in the Frozen Foot series at Etown College.  I did this last year to try to help motivate me to get out there and run.  I'm looking forward to it.  I have my times from last year that I believe if things line up I will be able to beat those times.  My goal for the 5K is to get under 30 minutes.

I will not be at the york run for TNT this week as I will be spending time with my buddies catching up with life.

Have a great week and remember to "run happy."