Saturday, January 5, 2013

1.5.13 Negley Run

Today was my first official run for the New Year.  I did not make it to the gym or run outside this week until this morning.  There wasn't anything specifically organized so I decided to send an email to my TNT friends and a post on facebook.  We had a great group.  We saw several different groups out there either walking or running.

We met at City Island for loop of at least a 5 miles.  If someone wanted to go 7 then they would also run to Maclay and back.  If they were up for 9 miles then they would go to division and back in addition to the 5 mile loop.  I chose the 5 mile loop even though I had originally planed to do 9 miles.  Part of me felt like a slacker, but I was not feeling it and as I mentioned earlier I have not done much more than 3 miles for the last few weeks.  It probably would have caused me to hurt myself or just not enjoy it.  The point is that I am out there and that I run happy. 

I don't really make New Year's resolutions, but I do want to get a PR in both my 5K and half-marathon distances this year.  I also would like to get to the gym several times a week and make that automatic rather than it being such a struggle for me.  I'm still in process, but as I take "baby steps" and have accountability I plan to accomplish these goals.  I also think if I can officially register for the Chambersburg Half that it would give me the extra motivation.  Don't get me wrong I'm fully planning on doing this, but at this point I don't have any money on the line... which is a motivator.

At the end of my run I was talking about how not doing my runs this week has impacted me.  I KNOW this as I have experience this time and time again.  I know that my greatest stress relief is going for a run.  If I don't exercise I have more stress in my life.  This is a direct correlation.  Not necessarily a "cause and effect" but definitely a correlation.  If I run then I am generally a happier person and more productive worker and a more thoughtful husband/father.  Now, I just need to convince myself to get to bed earlier and get up when my alarm goes off.

I'm excited about a great year and that I won't allow anything to get in the way :-).