Sunday, January 6, 2013

Move for 30 minutes 4 days a week for 4 weeks

Somehow I was introduced to John Bigham and his 100 days challenge.  I'm not up for committing to do 100 days of exercise, but what I can commit to is moving for a least 30 minutes four days a week for four weeks.  This is my goal, but I haven't officially put it down on paper (or in my blog).

I have had an extremely hard time the past three weeks getting to the gym at all let alone 3 or 4 times.  Once I did 5 days in a row, but it's been hard since then.

Knowing that I have this extra level of accountability should help.  Speaking about accountability, I have had a few people offer to send me a text at around 5am to make sure I'm up and getting ready to leave.  This works for both of us because in order for them to send me a text they need to be up as well :-).  This has worked OK because our schedules don't always match.

Are you up at 5am for work?  or for the gym?  Let me know if you're open to send me a text a few days a week to help me accomplish these goals.

So what are my goals anyway?
- get under 30 minutes for an official 5k race (I'm very close)
- get under 2 hours in the Bird in Hand half marathon in September (this will be a stretch, but if I work hard this year).

This is not specifically related to running but I have started the process of writing a book that I hope will help at least one person.  I don't know if I'll ever make money from it, but I want to write about a tragedy that happened in my family and my response to it.  If you don't know what it is you can ask me when you run with me or you can wait for the book (or for future posts about it).  The reality is that this does not have anything to do with running except that through my running i will be able to accomplish this... without running this task is almost insurmountable.  Stay tuned for future updates.