Saturday, February 2, 2013

2.2.13 Wildwood run

Today I had 10 miles on the schedule.  I was determined to run strong and run some hills.  I arrived at Wildwood at 730am to run 5 miles before the rest of the team arrived.  I decided that I was going to run relaxed and not try to break any records.  I went on the hills on the backside of the lake.  I need to become reacquainted with hills because everyone is telling me that the Chambersburg Half is hilly.  I warmed up after about a mile and a half until I warmed up.

The second 5 miles were more fun because I was able to get caught up with a few friends that I haven't seen for a few weeks.

I was thinking about why I do this and why I keep going out there even when it was below 20 degrees this morning.
1. I run for those who can't
2.  I run because it's how I cope with stress in my life
3.  I run because I enjoy it
4.  I run because it is an important part of my life and lifestyle.
5.  I run because if I don't I get cranky (just ask my wife!)

The best part of the run was during the last two miles.  I was progressively able to get a little faster.  In some ways it's harder to run in the winter but after the first 7 miles I still had energy to finish faster than I started.

Overall this was one of the better runs I've had in the past month or so.  Remember I run for those who can't :-)

I went to FedEx to pick up my BRIGHT yellow brooks jacket after I left the run.  Very happy with it and I know it will help keep me visible for those who are driving while I'm running.
 
Once I got home I took a very cold ice bath.  So if running in sub 20 wasn't crazy enough I also took an ice bath.  It's a good thing that I fully believe in the benefits of an ice bath because of my experience last year.  The only way to describe it is COLD!

If anyone wants to know my mile splits they were
Mile 1-5 - 11:08, 10:44; 10:18; 10:52; 10:30
Mile 6-9 - 10:20, 10:05; 10:00; 9:03

This run felt great (except the 1.5 miles while I warmed up).  As you can see I ran faster during the latter part of the run.  This is what I am trying to train myself to do :-)

Remember to "Run Happy"!