Saturday, March 23, 2013

7 mile run 3.23.13

Today I was meeting up with friends for breakfast at the Front Street Diner in Harrisburg.  It is about 3.5 miles from my house.  Instead of running 5 miles before breakfast I decided to save some gas and some time and run to the diner.  We had great conversation and I had good run home.  Fortunately, I didn't eat too much (just two pieces of French Toast).  I didn't have any stomach issues with this since I was running a little slower than normal (about 11 min/mi).

I was just reflecting that I ran 7 miles today (with a break in the middle) and it didn't even seem like a big deal.  I am becoming more thankful that I can run and that I have been injury free to this point in my running "career".  I consider myself so blessed.  I saw a few birds (a robin and others) and I just generally enjoyed the run.  I prefer running with friends, but it was good to get a run in outside.  I can't wait to get back to train with the team next week.

Another thought I've been having lately is that exercise is must be a "non-negotiable" in my life.  I'm not saying that I have to do more than an hour each day, but life seems to go much more smoothly when I have done something physical in the morning.  I know that my mind works more clearly, my mood is improved and I am much more able to deal with the stress in life.  Bottom line is I'm a better husband, father, friend and counselor if I get my runs in several times per week.