Sunday, April 7, 2013

04.09.13 Capital 10-Miler - a run for the arts

Today I ran my first 10 mile race.  It was very well organized and the volunteers did a great job.  I made a point to thank each of the volunteers that were on the course.

I know one of my weakness is that I typically start out too fast when I run a race.  Today, I started the race with a friend who also wanted to start out slow.  We started at the back of the pack.  The funniest sign that I saw was at mile .5 (I appreciate the sign, but it was a "little" early to see that sign).

I wanted to focus on how my body was feeling while I was running rather than specifically how fast I was running.  The good news is that I was fairly close to my goal pace.

The messages I told myself during the run were:
1.  I feel good, I feel great.
2.  While I was crossing the Harvey Taylor Bride I counted my steps (counted to 100 and then restarted several times).
3.  Pushing through the wind - Everyone else has to deal with the same wind.
4.  There weren't any hills, but rather "ramps" so I just pushed through them.
5.  I picked out people who were ahead of me.  I kept telling myself that if I continue to progressively get faster than I could pass people who were in front of me.  Most of the people I passed it happened on the Harvey Taylor.

This was a race that I'd do again if it fits in my race schedule next year because it was well supported, well organized and it had some bands that play throughout the race (2 different places).  Having a band play at the 9.5 mile mark was really helpful to push me into the finish.  Overall, it was a great time.

My goal race for the fall is the Bird-In-Hand half marathon is on Saturday September 7, at 7:30am.  The only other race that I'm officially registered for on Saturday June 1, 2013 - The Manheim Rock-N-Glow 5K.

I run happy for those who can't run.  Today I specifically ran the last few miles for my friend Linda who runs for Autism as she was injured shortly after registering for this race.

Thanks for reading and feel free to post a comment and let me know what you're thinking about running.