Saturday, May 25, 2013

5.25.13 road to recovery - 9 points

As I thought about how to title this blog post I wanted to make sure I focused on the positive.  I have not run in the last several days, but I have learned many lessons.

1.  I have learned that this is likely temporary and that the time I'm not running will allow me to focus on other things.
2.  I miss it a lot and that I look to be smarter about my training in the future.
3.  I think the part of the problem was that I was running about 10 miles on the weekends with minimal if any runs during the week.
4.  I went to my chiropractor to adjust my foot.  This helped a ton, but there are more things that I can do to get back into the swing of training.
5.  I will NOT just run through this injury.  Regardless of whether this is actually Plantar Fasciitis it doesn't particularly matter, I need to take it easy and go slow for the next several weeks.
6.  I have an appointment with a podiatrist in the area on June 21st at 9:15am.  I hope to make significant progress between now and then, but hopefully he'll be able to give me some good answers.
7.  The hardest part of this is the emotional factor.  I miss the benefits of running.  Truth is that this is the primary way that I've been able to cope with the stressors in my life over the past few years.  I miss running with my TNT friends.  I also miss the times that I would run by myself in the mornings (or sometimes in the evening).  I'm not trying to make anyone feel sorry for me.  I think this is probably something that most runners go through at one point or another in their running career.
8.  I have a lot of questions, but the thing I do know is that I plan to come back stronger and smarter after this injury.

Lastly, in the next few days I hope to go for a short and slow run.  I probably will attempt this along the Susquhanna River which is very flat.  I will walk to the river, run about a half mile out and then a half mile back (or a little less if necessary).  After the about 1 mile run I will walk back home.

I appreciate you reading this.  Keep giving me feedback and encouragement.  If you are reading this and you've "been there done that" feel free to let me know by leaving a comment on FB or sending me an email at natewagner08 at gmail dot com

Thanks!  Look forward to reading your feedback.  Have a great day :-)!