As I thought about how to title this blog post I wanted to make sure I focused on the positive. I have not run in the last several days, but I have learned many lessons.
1. I have learned that this is likely temporary and that the time I'm not running will allow me to focus on other things.
2. I miss it a lot and that I look to be smarter about my training in the future.
3. I think the part of the problem was that I was running about 10 miles on the weekends with minimal if any runs during the week.
4. I went to my chiropractor to adjust my foot. This helped a ton, but there are more things that I can do to get back into the swing of training.
5. I will NOT just run through this injury. Regardless of whether this is actually Plantar Fasciitis it doesn't particularly matter, I need to take it easy and go slow for the next several weeks.
6. I have an appointment with a podiatrist in the area on June 21st at 9:15am. I hope to make significant progress between now and then, but hopefully he'll be able to give me some good answers.
7. The hardest part of this is the emotional factor. I miss the benefits of running. Truth is that this is the primary way that I've been able to cope with the stressors in my life over the past few years. I miss running with my TNT friends. I also miss the times that I would run by myself in the mornings (or sometimes in the evening). I'm not trying to make anyone feel sorry for me. I think this is probably something that most runners go through at one point or another in their running career.
8. I have a lot of questions, but the thing I do know is that I plan to come back stronger and smarter after this injury.
Lastly, in the next few days I hope to go for a short and slow run. I probably will attempt this along the Susquhanna River which is very flat. I will walk to the river, run about a half mile out and then a half mile back (or a little less if necessary). After the about 1 mile run I will walk back home.
I appreciate you reading this. Keep giving me feedback and encouragement. If you are reading this and you've "been there done that" feel free to let me know by leaving a comment on FB or sending me an email at natewagner08 at gmail dot com
Thanks! Look forward to reading your feedback. Have a great day :-)!