Monday, May 13, 2013

Hiltop Road Hershey 5/13/13

Today was my first run since I was on vacation in Florida.  It was fairly chilly in Hershey today even though I did my run close to noon.  I decided that I would start at the Cocoa Beanery located on Research Boulevard in Hershey, PA.  I ran up Bullfrog Valley Rd made a left and than took the second right onto Hiltop Rd.  This means that I slowly went up to the top of the hill (via Bullfrog) and then quickly went down the hill (via Hiltop Rd).  I decided to have a water stop at the Hershey Free Church (I am a member there).  As a reference point it is about 3 miles from the Beanery to Hershey Free.  My next "leg" of my run was to be my most challenging.  I have wanted to run up Hiltop for at least a year (since I heard tails of the "killer taper run" of 2011).  I did made it up the whole way, but about 3/4 of the way I stopped to walk the rest of the way.  I don't take this as failure... but rather more reason to get in better shape to conquer it next time :-).

Lessons learned:
- Run earlier in the day, it's more fun.
- Don't allow challenges to get me psyched out.
- Since I know I can do Moore's mountain at Messiah, I KNOW I can do Hiltop Rd.

I originally planned running 10 miles, but I cut it short today.  The primary reason was due to time constraints, but the truth is that my mind was not in the game today.  Next time, I know I can do it :-).   My cutting it short was 8 miles.  I typically would have made myself do the 10 miles, but I know that something is way better than nothing.  Also, if I'm not mistaken because I did 8 today I can do a simple workout at the gym and then continue my week as planned.

This coming Saturday (5/18) we will be running at Messiah College.  This is by far my favorite place to run (because I like to be tortured by hills).  Looks like it's a 12 mile run... I'm hoping to help one of the participants do her longest long run for her half coming up in a few weeks.  We'll see if I can keep up with her :-).

Remember I run for those who can't.  Running happy!