Saturday, May 18, 2013

Training with the long-term in mind

In the several week or so I have starting having issues with the bottom of my Left foot.  It doesn't bother me while I'm running, but in my non-running shoes or barefoot it tends to be sore.  At this point I decided that I would not run the 10-12 miles this morning.  I really WANTED to do it, but I knew that if I went I would pay for it later.  If I can't run or don't run I tend to get cranky (just ask anyone who spends much time with me).  I want to always keep running in the long term as primary.  I have plenty of time to run in general and I have 16 weeks between now and the Bird-in-Hand half and a total of 22 weeks between now and the Hershey Half.

I look at this as a slight setback, but I'm already running 10 miles on a regular basis.  My long-term ability to run is way more important than getting a sub-2 hour half-marathon.  Obviously this is very important to me, but I'm going to do what I need to do to do this safely.

Specifically what I'm doing:
1.  Bought new shoes for work that should make a huge difference.  I made the mistake of using old shoes for too long (truth be known I've been using running shoes that I used to train for the marathon at work... which I will never do again).
2.  Taking a voluntary rest day or a few days is way better than being forced to take off 8 plus weeks to recover for an injury (like some of my friends are doing right now or have done recently).
3.  Keep the long-term running in focus even though it doesn't feel good at the moment

At this point I don't know for sure what's wrong, but as I read information it could be the dreaded Plantar fasciitis.  Things that I'm reading and that I'm going to try:
1.  Icing the bottom of my foot.
2.  Use a golf ball (or something like it) to rub on the bottom of my foot
3.  Freeze a water bottle and use that on the bottom of my foot
4.  I don't really stretch (which I know I should) so I will be doing some calf stretches.
5.  To not be stubborn, but ask the TNT coaches and to do what they suggest!

I think the biggest thing I want to keep in mind is to be willing to re-evaluate the sub-two hour half marathon goal.  If I'm not careful with this starting of an injury then I won't even be close.  I want to run the rest of my life and that's what's important... not being fast, but running until I'm 100.

Thanks so much for reading.  Give me suggestions if you've been there done that.