Saturday, June 15, 2013

6.15.13 HACC run

Today was my first real run in the past month or so.  I'm not exactly sure when my foot started hurting, but I know that my last real run was 5.13.13.  That's when I ran my Hiltop Road run which didn't cause the issue, but didn't make things any better.

Anyway, it was really nice to get back out there this morning.  I met with my TNT buddies.  It was the first official long run for the fall races so there were some new participants that came out for this training run.  It can remember what it was like to first start running and I made sure I introduced myself to as many people as I could. 

I ran most of the time with a new participant who I know from church.  Right now, I'm just trying to get back into the swing of things and remind my body what it's like to run longer distances.  It's good to know that I didn't loose all my conditioning, but I was reminded very clearly how important it is rest and allow my foot to get better.

I meet with the podiatrist this coming Friday.  I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say. 

The biggest lesson I'm learning is the necessity of consistency.  I have not been consistent in my training and I know that I have a lot more potential than the results I've seen so far.  First and foremost I run because it's my therapy and it keeps me sane.  Now, I'm trying to get faster.  I still have a goal of a sub 2:00 half marathon as a reach goal.  These next few months will determine whether that's a possible or not.

Swimming and biking... I did not do much cross-training during my training last season.  This year I am going to be adding more biking (outside on my "mountain bike").  I tried aqua jogging yesterday (Friday) and I really enjoyed it.  Plus I did kicking drills using the kick board to strengthen my legs.  The most fun drill was when I put an adult Pull Buoy and just coasted on the top of the water.  This drill went much better than expected and I knew it was working when I was out of breath at the end of a lap.  Good stuff.  Not sure when a triathlon would be able to happen, but I'm willing to learn the other two sports.

My debate about swimming and getting a membership at a gym where I can swim.  Currently, I am a member at Planet Fitness in Shippensburg.  This costs 10 bucks a month and you get what you pay for, but it works because it is on my way to work.  They have treadmills, bikes and some other equipment (obviously no pool for swimming).  The problem is that I don't go as often as I want to/should or could.  There are other gyms that have a pool, but they tend to be somewhat expensive.  It I do join a different gym it would need to be based on whether or not I actually go or not.  If I'm not going then I don't want to donate my money to the gym.  If I get a gym membership to the YMCA, Gold Gym, or LA fitness it would need to be based on me actually going.  Again, consistency is KEY!

Thanks for reading.  I would love to have feedback on all of this.