Saturday, June 29, 2013

Not your typical week!

I followed orders from the podiatrist to not run this past week (other than of course a 5.5 mile run last Saturday with TNT).  I used this week wisely because I went to the Harrisburg Inside Track to purchase new shoes that work well with my superfeet insert.

I have very cool new shoes called Brooks Glycerin 11.  I'm fairly brand loyal, but I wanted to have an open mind about what shoe would be best.  I looked at this purchase as extremely important because I'm looking to come back stronger after this Plantar injury.

I typically buy my shoes online, but I wanted to support the local running store and reward him for the time he spent helping me find a solid shoe.  I will spare you a lot of the details, but I have been running in a Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12 for the past two years (at least).  It is a "support" shoe which means it has lots of bells and whistles.  Bottom line: it's a very different shoe.  If you want to learn more about what shoe might be right for you Brooks has a cool website that you can answer a few questions and they will give suggestions.  Nothing replaces going into a specialty running shoe and trying the shoes on to see what fits best.

I must say that these Brooks Glycerin 11 fit better than any other shoe I've had in the past.  I've only run about a mile with them so far, but the fit really well.

Today I tried out my new shoes on the treadmill at the YMCA in Carlisle.  Cindy was working so I took Emma to the "Child Watch."  She seemed to really like it and the ladies that work there are mom's themselves.  I felt very comfortable having her play there.   It was a quick workout, but it's good to know that it is an option to still workout if Cindy's working and I have Emma.  The Y's website is http://www.carlislefamilyymca.org/

I've been listening to a running podcast called The Extra Mile Podcast for a couple years now.  They are doing a new podcast on the Half Marathon and I'm one of 3 runners selected to be a part of the conversation on a regular basis.  The coolest part is that I will be receiving personal e-coaching from Chris Twiggs who has been able to qualify for the Boston Marathon using the Galloway Run/Walk/Run.  I'm honored to be selected as a part of this I'm extremely excited about it.  This is even better since I'm coming back from an injury and I'll be able to get more specific suggestions to gently get me to the finish line of the Bird-in-Hand Half marathon in September.  Technically, I'm no longer trying to break 2 hours, but I predict that I'll be able to still break my own personal record of 2:18:40.  If you would like to subscribe to the podcast and see what it's all about then go here.

.  BMen's Glycerin 11
Men's Glycerin 11
Men's Glycerin 11