Saturday, August 17, 2013

Week 6 Pace work - speed work

Here's my week 6 update.  The first part is what I emailed Coach Chris and the last part are some of my reflections about this.
I took Monday off because I did my long run on Sunday last week.

Tuesday it was storming complete with lightening and thunder so I went to spin class instead.
Wednesday I ran 4 miles with a friend in the morning.  We ran on a softer surface.  Ran at an overall pace of 11:15.  I used a 3:1 ratio the entire time.  I did have to stop to use the porta pot part way through which slowed us down a bit.  Details are here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/359033067
Thursday I missed my run in the AM, but was able to get it in after work.  My GPS location was never found, but I ran 45 minutes with a 3:1 ratio and that felt very good even though it was getting hotter.  Don't have the official details.  I ran at least 4 miles.
Friday I took completely off.
Saturday (today) I did speed work.  I did it at a different track than I did the first pace work.  This time my wife and daughter came out to the track to help me and keep the time.  This was very helpful because now I have real information that can be helpful.  Here it goes! 
1.  Lap 1 - 2:15; Lap 2 - 2:29 total for first 800: 4:44
2.  Lap 1 - 2:22; Lap 2 - 2:18; total for second 800: 4:40
3.  Lap 1 - 2:16; Lap 2 - 2:25; total for third 800: 4:41
4. Lap 1 - 2:20 (Nailed it!); Lap 2 - 2:30 (not so much); total for fourth 800: 4:50 - did not feel tired... not sure what happened other than I must have been distracted.
5.  Lap 1 - 2:27; Lap 2 - 2:12; total for fifth 800: 4:39
6.  Lap 1 - 2:11; Lap 2 - 2:22; total for sixth 800: 4:33 - I did not intend to go so fast on the first lap.  I did tell myself "let's do this" and "I feel good, I feel great" and "relax, power, glide."
 
Here's the information that "big brother Garmin GPS watch came up with for my pace work.  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/360388314

Felt wonderful afterwards and I did a bunch of things for the house after I completed this pace work :-)

What are your thoughts about this?  What can I do during this next week to improve and "dial in more" with my pace?

Ok, so more reflections.  Overall, I'm fairly happy with how this week went.  It felt a little "off" because I didn't do anything on Monday and it meant that I needed to do two running days in a row, but I have no complaints.  My foot still feels great.  I'm looking forward to the Bird-in-Hand half marathon here in a few weeks.  I'm going to attempt to run that as a 13 mile training run.  I know I'll run at least the first 10 miles that way, but I'm thinking that I'll probably want to step it up the last 5K of the race.  I believe that my training is going well enough that I have a good chance to be faster than my current personal record (PR) of 2:18.  My goal for that race/training run will be to run strong and to take all of my walk breaks from the start (even though people will look at me very strange).  The biggest difference with Galloway's run/walk/run is that we take walk breaks strategically from the start and not just later on in the race when we feel fatigued.  The best part of this is that I feel amazing after almost every run I've done.  I'm looking forward to running 11 miles next week.

I miss running with my TNT friends, but it was good to see a few of them today (I wish I would have gotten to Messiah earlier so I could have seen more of those friends).  Saturdays have gotten a lot more busy for me lately and that makes it challenging.  I hope to make it soon so I can catch up with some of those friends.

One story before I finish this post.  First, while I was working on my 800's today the field hockey team was doing mile trials.  I was very sad when I saw one girl who was trying so hard and I'm not sure why she didn't/couldn't finish, but at the end she was literally sobbing... this made me sad because failure is only when we give up.  Also it was interesting that those field hockey players who did complete their mile gave each other high fives and said something like "yeah!  no more mile trials!  and I said to myself something like they are happy they don't have to do it.  This did not surprise me, but I wish that coaches didn't make running a punishment for not doing something correct.

That's all for this week.  11 miles next week.  Very much looking forward to the double digits!

#irunforthosewhocant #runhappy #grateful