Saturday, August 24, 2013

Week 7 - 11 Miles

I'm putting in my email to Coach Chris and then I'll add some more reflections.  If you are wondering why I'm following a different training plan this year it is because I was selected to be one of the participants on the Extra Mile Podcast Galloway Half Marathon edition.  You can find the podcast at http://gallowayextramile.blogspot.com/.  It's been awesome because it keeps me more accountable for my training and not modifying things for my own convenience or because I want to sleep in on a weekday.  Needless to say this has been super helpful in addition to a friend of mine who is also coming back from injury who sends me text/messages to make sure that I'm getting up and getting to the gym or that I'm getting my run done.

I felt inspired and empowered by my marathon training last year, but it took a lot of time and I was sometimes tired as a result of it.  This year with this plan I'm not nearly as tired and my mood is much more positive.

Here's my email that I sent to Coach Chris:
Coach Chris, First off I'm feeling absolutely incredible after my long run of 11 miles.  I did the 2:1 ratio as you suggested.  I kept up an average pace of 11:28/mile.  Effectively using the walk breaks made the run so pleasant.  Plus I got started at 6am which helped a lot.

Let me go to specifics from my week of training. 
On Monday I ran 4 miles using a 3:1 ratio.  It felt good.  Here's the details
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/361915190
Tuesday I did spin.
Wednesday I ran 5 miles.  I went after work and ran in the heat.  I thought this was going to be rough, but I did really well using a 3:1 ratio.  My average pace was 10:13 which in the 80 plus degree heat I felt very good about.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/362991248
Thursday I did spin.  Felt really good even though I ran the night before.

Friday - completely off
Today - I ran 11 miles using a 2:1 ratio.  As I mentioned earlier in the email I felt amazing during and after it.  I ran the first 7 miles by myself and then met up with friends from TNT for the last 4 miles.  I ran the last mile the fastest and I was ready to run more if I would have had it on the schedule.  I walked about a mile or two after the run to cool down.  I did a cool water bath (did not have time to do the full ice bath).  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/364247656

Very much looking forward to the bird in hand half marathon in two weeks.  I know that it is a training run, but I'll be looking for some feedback about how I should approach the race as a training run.

Thanks!

Ok, so now on to reflections.  I'm very pleased about how my week went.  I did a total of 20 miles which is the most I've done since I had my foot issue.  I'm feeling so strong these days.  As I mentioned I feel inspired and I'm so thankful for how the training is going.

I run for those who can't and I run happy!

Next week I have 8 x 800s and it's my birthday weekend.  Can't wait!  Until next time.