Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pre-race thoughts 10/19/13 Hershey Half Marathon

It's race weekend!  I've already picked up my race bib.  My number is 4039.  I've put a lot of thought and effort into this race.  This race seems different than any others even though I ran the Hershey Half two years ago.  The reason this is different is because I'm using the Jeff Galloway Run/walk/run method of running.  So far this has helped me come back from some foot issues and has helped me get faster.

I know that the bottom line is that I am racing against myself and that when I cross the finish line at a time faster than 2:18:40 then I will have a PR.  I can't remember the exact point where I decided in my own mind that my goal was going to be 1:59:59 or faster, but over a month ago I shared that with the listening audience of the Galloway Extra Mile Podcast - Half Marathon edition.  I have been one of the Guinea pigs receiving e-coaching from Chris Twiggs.  This has been an awesome experience and I have learned so much through the process.

The part that excites me the most is that I'm physically healthy and I'm faster than I was before I started AND I use walk breaks.

I am slightly nervous about a few things and I figure if I post them that will help me process things.

1.  The narrow parts of the course - It looks like there are a few spots that will be fairly narrow.  I'm going to overcome this by sticking with the plan and not slowing down too much but not worrying if my pace slows a little bit due to being congested.

2.  Hills - not worried about this because "Hills are my friends."  I will be saying to myself "I love hills and I eat hills for breakfast."  Whatever I can do to stay positive :-)

Even though I did not specifically race money for TNT I'm still running for Luke and for Jeff.  I will be wearing my TNT jersey with my name on it.

My plan per Coach Chris Twiggs:  Start out with the 9 minute milers (I found the sign for that group).  I will check with those are around me to see if this goal is reasonable for them or if it is a "wish."  If it's a reasonable goal I will make sure I don't get ahead of them (or behind them).  Also recognize that I may fall back a little bit on the hills, but to not be concerned about that because I will catch up on the down hill.  Also from the coaching call I remember Chris stated that I am to run a 4:1 ratio which is a 9 minute mile.  I will run 4 minutes and walk a minute from the start of the race.  Once I get 10 miles in I can evaluate where I am time wise.  If I'm about 1:30 I can stay the course and continue using walk breaks.  If I'm a little bit slower and I still feel awesome then I can start to pick up the pace and modify the walk breaks.  Either way when I see the stadium I will pick up the pace and pass as many people as I can on the way into the finish line.  I am grateful that I've been able to train myself that no matter how I feel I still have a kick at the end.

I just watched the clip from Facing the Giants about the death crawl and giving it my very best.  That is what I'm going to do for this race.  Regardless of my time I am going to give it everything.  Also for my confidence booster I can remember that I did 12 repetitions of 800 meters (1/2 mile).  That's 6 miles by the way and that was done at sub 8 minute miles.

Again, I'm running happy and I'm going to do my VERY best.  I will post results on my blog.  Here's where you can go to get the official time Hershey Half Marathon results and other social media.  Also, my photos will be posted on http://www.hersheyeventphotos.com/hhm13.php

Please check out the podcast.  It's so cool to be a part of this!  http://gallowayextramile.blogspot.com/  or check out here https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-extra-mile-podcast-galloway/id424222024

Bottom line:  I will #runhappy.  I will run inspired and with a smile on my face.