Saturday, October 5, 2013

Week 13: half marathon training

My thoughts for this week are summed up by saying "I want a do over!"

Here's what I wrote Coach Chris Twiggs about my week.

Chris,

This week was rough!  I did get my first run in on Tuesday evening and I was pleased with how it went.  I had an overall pace of 9:08 and even though it was hot 77 degrees, it felt very good.  Here's the details for this run: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/384392895
I just got up in time for work on Wednesday AM, so I didn't actually get in my second weekday run.  This is the first time I've completely missed a run in the past 14 weeks (typically I would have made it up on Thursday, but I had my long run scheduled for Friday).
As I mentioned in a text my long run did not go as planned.  I had been sneezing a lot in the past few days, but I didn't think much of it.  Since it was not in my chest, but in my head I decided to try my run anyway, even though I wasn't feeling the greatest.  Anyway, the first 5 miles didn't feel all that great and this was surprising to me.  I have been very fortunate in that I haven't had any really bad runs recently.

My sneezing did not cause too many issues and I did not need to use too many tissues.  It truly wasn't bothersome at work on Thursday.  During the run I didn't sneeze all that much, but I could tell that my breathing was off a little bit.
Here's the details from the run.  I do know that on a different day I would have crushed this workout.  My hope is that this will be the only bad run of this cycle and that I will do awesome at the race.
Instead of posting all of my splits you can go here to find it if you want it. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/386011550   My overall pace was 14.55 for 10 miles.  I'm trying to keep in mind that everyone has off days and that this does not mean that I still won't accomplish my goals at Hershey.

Any advice?  Suggestions?  I'm feeling like I need to do a "do over" for this run.  Thoughts?  So that's the end of what I wrote Chris.  I'm going to continue my conversation with you my reader.

Have you ever had just a horrible run?  I know that the definition of a bad run is one that didn't happen, but what about those that happened that did not go according to plan.  Am I just spoiled with having this as my first real disappointing run?  I was supposed to do 17 miles and I only ran/walked 5, walked 5 and didn't do the last 7.  Part of me is concerned that because of this run I won't accomplish my sub 2:00 half marathon goal.  My mind knows this is rediculous, but it's still messing with me.  This is the first time that I've waited 24 hours to post my stats.  I'm usually doing that before I even hit the ice bath.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get some response about this post.  If you've had issues with a longer long run how did you respond mentally, physically and emotionally?  I"m having issues with this mostly because it was the longest long run for this race.  I've done on the long runs up to this point.  I know I can still accomplish my goals, but I guess I'm frustrated.  Thoughts?  Thanks!