Saturday, November 23, 2013

17 mile training run: Marathon Training

This week was very interesting as I did not get my weekday workouts done when I wanted to, but they are still done and I count that as a victory.  I ended up doing Monday's run in the evening.  This was a VERY windy day (15+MPH winds).  It was great going out, but coming back was interesting.  I saw two other runners out that night.   My Thursday AM workout consisted of a run of about 3 miles in the morning and then spin class.  I was proud of myself for getting both in since I've tried this several times in the past and it hasn't worked out like I wanted.  Typically I would say or plan to do both and actually do neither.  For some people going for a run and then spin class wouldn't be a big deal, but for me it is a huge deal :-) especially since that meant I need to leave my house by 4:45am!

Today I had a 17 mile run on the schedule.  This is the third longest training run I've ever done so I was excited about it and curious how it would be different this time since it's the farthest I've run using run/walk/run.  I am happy to report that I feel good after this run.  During the run the last few miles were a little rough.  I think this is because I haven't adjusted my ratio yet.  I used the same ratio as I did for the half-marathon (2:30/1) for the entire run.

Here's where I am truly converted to the Galloway run/walk/run.  Before when I did long runs I was out of commission for the day.  Today it was clear that I needed an ice bath and not just a cold water bath.  After the 10 minutes in the freezing cold ice bath I felt much better.  I haven't had any issues walking up stairs or doing what I need to do today.

Today was the first time in over a year that I brought music and podcast along for the run.  Don't worry I used only one headphone and I did not have it very loud.  I also used my knuckle lights so I could see where I am going and so that I could be seen.

This whole process has been amazing.  I was able to be contemplative during my run and I appreciated that I had over three hours to think and just enjoy being outside.

This marathon that I'm training for is not about getting a personal record (I likely will, but that's not the point).  The point is running for those who can't.  My mission has not changed because whether I'm raising money for breast cancer research or for leukemia/lymphoma I'm still raising money for those who can't and I'm still making sure I am keeping in mind how important it is to #runhappy

More on my journey next week!  Thanks for reading and feel free to give feedback.