Saturday, November 30, 2013

Marathon week 11/30/13

On Monday morning I headed out for my early run and it was about 19 degrees with a real feel of 10 degrees.  I used a 4:1 run/walk/run ratio.  The only thing to report is that this was the first time in a while that I got out for my run before work on Monday.

Thursday was the Turkey Trot in New Cumberland.  This will be my fifth year in a row running/walking this run.  I don't race this run, because it's more fun and I like to get my wife involved.  This year we had my wife, 2 1/2 year old daughter, and my wife's friend.  I was planning on sticking with my wife, but they told me to just go ahead and run with our daughter in the stroller.  Well this was an interesting experience because she was not happy at all to be in the cold.  It was very windy and overall cold.  I pushed my daughter and since she was crying and making a racket people generally moved to the side for me.  I wasn't running the race to be competitive, but I did pass several people with and without strollers.  I had a good time and we'll do it again next year.  Hopefully my daughter will enjoy it more next year :-).

Today I ran a "nice and easy," but cold 5 mile run.  It was what I had on my schedule from the Jeff Galloway training book.  Next week I have 6 miles with a magic mile and then the following week I have 20 miles.  I'm looking forward to the 20 mile training run and I hope that there won't be any rain/snow for that run.  I found that even though I ran in temps below 20 degrees this week it wasn't so bad on the days the wind wasn't very strong.  The wind and precipitation is what makes it more difficult.

I am excited and somewhat nervous about running long distances in the winter.  This is going to be the first time I've really kept up with the longer distances throughout the winter.  My race schedule next year is going to be simply 26.2 with Donna in Jacksonville Florida in February and the Bird in Hand half in September.  As of today I am officially registered for Bird in Hand in September.  Bird in Hand was my favorite in 2013.

Thanks for reading!  If you want to support me in my journey to 26.2 with Donna you can go here:
http://donate.breastcancermarathon.com/2014Marathon/natewagner

#runhappy, #rundonna