Saturday, November 2, 2013

Recovery week and 26.2 with Donna

This week I my 5 mile recovery run at an 11 minute pace.  This was very easy for me and I had to hold back, but it felt REALLY good.  Amazing like I typically feel after a long run :-).

I found during these past two weeks that I was very lax on getting up in the morning during the week.  I'm not proud of this, but it's something that's been a habit that I'm trying to break.

I have the ultimate way to break that habit because I'm officially registered for the 26.2 with Donna on Feb 23, 2014 in Jacksonville, Florida.  Our hotel and flight are both booked (thanks to my super supportive wife)!

This training cycle is going to be different than any other.  First, this will be the first time I follow up racing a half marathon (that was my goal for the fall) and transitioning to the full marathon.  Also this is going to be different because I'll be running with a Galloway run/walk/run pace group in Jacksonville Florida.  I'm SUPER excited about this because I will have people that are running my same pace and using the same method.  That was the biggest thing that was missing in Hershey this year.  I know I would have pushed myself a lot harder if I had others who I knew around me (not making excuses... I just know myself as a social runner).

In a lot of ways this marathon will be different than the Marine Corps Marathon.  For one, I am not sure I'll have someone who I know that will run most of the marathon with me.  But as I mentioned above, I will have lots of people in the pace group who I can talk with during both the running and walking.  Something else that's different is that we (meaning my wife) had to take care of the details of how we were getting there etc.  Also the biggest thing that will be different is that I'll be doing some significant long runs in the cold weather.  I know this is going to be a challenge, but I'm up for this challenge since I already know I can do the distance (with proper training).

Things that will be similar are that I will be running for a cause.  Last year, I ran with TNT and I raised money for LLS (Leukemia and Lymphoma Society).  This year by just paying my registration fee I am raising money for breast cancer research.  I will also be raising money.  My plan is to have a few events in addition to using letters and social media to raise funds.

Here is more about the 26.2 with Donna.  This is a direct quote from the marathon website
 "26.2 with Donna The National Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer is the only marathon in the country dedicated solely to breast cancer research and care. 100% of funds raised by runners and all donations benefit bench top breast cancer research at Mayo Clinic and to help meet the critical needs of women in need with breast cancer through The Donna Foundation. Thanks to the support of our fundraisers, donors, runners and sponsors we have raised more than 3 million dollars since 2008.
We sincerely appreciate your contribution and support – your partnership to the cause is paramount.
It starts with a run.  It only stops when breast cancer is finished."

I would be honored if you would contribute to this cause.   My fundraising page is: