Saturday, December 14, 2013

20 miles - Marathon training

This week was a struggle on the weekday running and weekday workout.  I have no good excuse.

Today however was my 20 mile training run for 26.2 with Donna.  I chose to wake up at 4am and I was out the door by 4:30am.  For most of the run it was about 32 degrees out (according to the bank displays).

I did the majority of the run in the dark which made it go quickly.  I used a 2 minute run/1 min walk for the first 16/17 miles.  I then changed it to 1:1.

Noteworthy things:
1. I saw a skunk on the way out and back on front street.
2.  All but one of the runners I saw were on front street
3.  The coolest thin happened mile 18/19 when I saw a fellow crazy runner an I said "high five" for the crazy runner!
4.  All the runners who were out there today were willing to say hi even if they had earphones.  This is not always the case.
5.  Music makes the time go quicker.  I'd rather run with people  by if I can't and I'm out there for more than 2 hours its nice to have music and podcasts to keep me company.

I love running and it is so much better for me with run walk run.  So grateful for being able to do this and still live my life.

The biggest help for this run was from my "extra mile" community Amanda.  She was doing a 29 mile training run.  We were both able to send texts to encourage each other.  So cool that the online running community is so supportive!  Even though I was "alone" out there on the roads I had some really solid support and I'm so grateful for that!  I couldn't have done it without this support.

Also, this is the second time I've run a 20 mile training run, but the first time ever that I've done a run this long when it's was this cold.  So thanks Amanda!

Starting super early 4:30am is hard but worth it.

#runhappy; #rundonna