Saturday, December 21, 2013

26.2 training 12/21/13

This week I got my midweek runs in on Monday on the treadmill (ice), and Thursday before and after spin class.  On Thursday I did 10 minutes on the treadmill before spin and then 20 minutes on the treadmill afterwards.  I felt great both times.

The primary winter condition that I won't run in is ice because it is very dangerous.  I'm not willing to risk getting injured just to say I got my run in.

Today I had 6 miles on my Jeff Galloway run/walk/run schedule.  Jeff's philosophy of long runs is that they are to be long, slow runs.  These are focused on getting the distance at a slower pace than maybe I could do if I was trying to race that distance.  He has much detail about this on his website which is http://www.jeffgalloway.com/.  I'm so excited that this method has allowed me to have strategic walk breaks from the start and I'm have gotten faster too. 

There isn't much to report from this run today.  There were still several sidewalks that were not shoved (either they are abandoned or for whatever other reason).  I tried to stick to the road as much as possible.  I used a 2:1 ratio and it was comfortable.

What did I learn from this run?
1.  what I eat during the week makes a difference.
2.  wearing shorts in December is awesome.
3.   wearing shorts when it is in the lower 40's isn't necessary a bad idea.  I did this today and my legs weren't cold.
4.  listening to music on longer runs is a good distraction, but on shorter runs I like to run without music.

If you don't know what to do for Christmas for someone you could donate to the marathon to finish breast cancer through my fundraising page.  It's