Saturday, January 4, 2014

22 mile training run 1/4/13

Today I had 23 miles on the training schedule that I'm following from Jeff Galloway's book.  If you are in the northeast and have been outside you know that it is been COLD.  This is by far the coldest weather I have EVER run in let alone running more than 20 miles in it.  All of this wouldn't be a huge deal, but there was snow on the ground on a lot of places.

I broke down and bought Yaktrax pro on Friday because I knew I'd do a lot of running in the snow.  I ran the first 8.5 miles in the snow and I had absolutely no issues.  I actually wish I would have kept them on the entire time because that would have made the rest of the run a little less difficult.  During these first 8.5 miles I was in a great mood as the sun was out and it was not nearly as cold as it got later on in the run.

I left my house to drive to my start place at about 12:30pm.  I didn't get home until sometime after 7.  I ran for just over 5 hours, but there were stops in between things.

The biggest challenge for this run was the cold combined with the snow.  This wasn't a problem when the sun was shinning, but as the sun went down it got much colder and the primary place where I was cold was my hands... and a little bit in my face, but that was manageable.

I had a friend run about 8 miles with me and that was a tremendous help.  I remember running with her for her first mile when she was making her comeback and she returned the favor today.  That was SUPER helpful and much appreciated.

Things I learned:
1.  I made this way too complicated because of the snow.
2.  Snow and cold makes it really hard to respond to texts.
3.  Trying to run in the dark after already running more than 18 miles is challenging at least.
4.  Having support makes runs like this so much "easier."
5.  I would have postponed this run til next week if I wasn't running for 26.2 with Donna and raising money for breast cancer research
6.  Having music helps a lot when you're running alone.
7.  Marathon training impacts family and it is important for them to know how much it is appreciated.
8.  The sunset was amazing today... absolutely incredible and made it worth it.
9.  I may not always run marathons, but I truly want to run until I'm 100 years old.
10.  The only way I was able to do this was through using strategic walk breaks.  I started out using 2/1 ratio (2 min running/1 min walking).  Ended up at 1/1 which means (1 min running/1 min walking).  If I were to do this again I would have gone to :30/:30 because that would have kept me moving more.
11.  Having the correct equipment is huge.
12.  I appreciate my wife so much for all that she did to make today happen.

Remember why I'm doing this.  It is all about raising money so we can finish breast cancer.  I run for those who can't.

#rundonna, #runhappy