Saturday, January 25, 2014

prep for 26.2 mile cold training run

I typically blog on Saturday, but my training run this week will be done on Sunday.  I've been thinking about this run ever since the 22 mile training run I did 3 weeks ago.

I am using my experience and what I learned from that run to make this run a little bit more pleasant or at least use my resources a bit better.

Here's what I'm doing different and hopefully better than before.
1.  Activating my hand warmers when I don't need them yet, rather than waiting.
2.  Having gas stations laid out as places to seek shelter.  I have a Rutters at about mile 3 (after a rather large hill).  Also a Sheetz at about 6 miles or so.
3.  I will be able to have Cindy and Emma meet me at about mile 9 or 10 (or whenever they get out of church) to provide me with a refill of water.
4.  I'm doing more of a point to point route which will be much more interesting.
5.  I'm starting the run at about 8:30 or earlier in Hershey so that I won't need to run in the dark.
6.  I won't have anyone to run with this time, but I'll have virtual support (thanks Amanda!) and I'll be listening to the Extra Mile Podcast as well as many others along with some of my music.  Don't worry I will only have one ear bud in while I'm running.
7.  I want to make sure that I do the full 26.2 miles, but I know that I want to "Live to run another day" and that if I think it's not safe then I'll cut the run short.
8.  I will still do a cold water bath after the run (once my core temp goes up).
9.  We will be going out for a nice dinner after as a reward for my accomplishment.
10.  This run will be much more mentally and physically challenging then the marathon I will be running Feb 23.
11.  I wouldn't even consider running this far on Sunday if it weren't for the fact that I'm running for a cause greater than myself.  I want to #finishbreastcancer

I'll give a full report when I get back.  Feel free to send me texts (I'll get them right away).  And actually with this run for the first 10k (6.2 miles or so) I'll have wifi when I go into the gas stations.