Saturday, March 22, 2014

Running saved my life

Last week I posted that "running saved my life" and that I would explain in a post soon.

Here are some of the ways that "running saved my life."
1.  I'm a professional counselor and running helps me deal with the stress of my job.  If I didn't have running I'm not sure what I would do to cope with that stress.  Some days are harder than others and I know that if I miss a bunch of runs during the week I can physically and emotionally feel the difference.
2.  I never was technically overweight, but once I started as a substance abuse counselor about 2.5 years ago I was sitting most of my day.  This caused a problem for my weight and my overall feeling of well-being.  Running and eating healthier has really helped this.  I couple things I simply stopped doing to help me loose some weight.  First, I stopped drinking soda on a regular basis.  Second, I was more aware of what I was eating.  I asked the simple question: Is this _____ worth it.  May times it wasn't so I didn't eat it.  Don't get me wrong... I still REALLY like Cinnamon rolls after a long run (and I eat several :-) ).  That is my new weakness.  Running helps me keep what I eat in perspective.  I also make sure that I eat enough fruit and veggies.
3.  Running saved my life emotionally.  I truly believe this because running is an outlet for any stress or frustration that I might be going through in life.
4.  Running has saved my life because it has provided so many amazing friends.  I've had friends text me at 5am to help me get up for a run.  I've had friends (some of whom I haven't met... yet) who text me during a long run or race to encourage me.
5.  Running has saved my life because it has helped me realize that I can do much more than I could ever imagine.  Running has helped me get my Masters in Professional Counseling, it has helped me get my LPC (License for Professional Counseling).  Overall it has helped get me through the difficulties in my life.

So I must give a huge thank you to running.

Thank you to all my runner friends and all the inspiration you have provided.

Thank you to Coach Chris Twiggs for the help you provided. 

An even bigger thank you to my wife for putting up with my running and the time that it takes away from our family.  I hope and pray that you find it worth it and that you get a better husband when I run.

Thanks to my TNT friends, my Extra Mile Podcast friends, other charity runners, the other running podcasts that I listen to on a regular basis.

My life has changed for the better because of running and I truly believe that "running saved my life."

#runningsavedmylife