Saturday, March 8, 2014

Training update, Altra Shoes, Autism research

This week of training was a different in a lot of ways.  For one I ran 4 times.  Also I bought new shoes on Thursday.  I have had difficulty with my right pinky toe (5th Metatarsal) poking through my Brooks Glycerin 11 even though they are wide.  I had heard about the Altra Zero Drop shoes by listening the the Extra Mile Podcast.  One of the huge differences about this shoe other than the obvious (Zero Drop) is the more natural and large toe box.  So far I'm loving the extra room for my toes.

So how's my training being going?  I'm pleased with how it is going as it is only the second week since I ran the 26.2 with Donna.  I ran 4 times training for the week.  I did the first two runs in my Brooks and the last two runs with my new Altra Zero Drop Shoes - Torin 1.5.  You can check them out here.

I did a short run on Tuesday and then  my long run for the week on Thursday.  I ran "at least 8" miles on Thursday this week (in my Brooks Glycerin).  It was weird for me to run further on Thursday, but I had off so I couldn't resist.  After that run was when I purchased the Altra Zero Drop Shoes.

Friday I went for an early run and did a total of 2 miles in my new shoes.  The felt great and I didn't have any pain in them.  Since it is so drastically different they recommend that I take my time and go slow and short.  I won't use these shoes in my next race that is a 10 mile race here in Harrisburg.  My second run was 3.1 miles and I did that this afternoon.  It was very nice and I was just running a fairly easy pace.  I looked at my watch and saw that I was averaging less than a 10 minute mile.  I thought maybe if I keep this up without much extra effort I could get a sub 30 min 5k without any issue.  I knew that it wouldn't be smart to go too fast with these new shoes since my body isn't adjusted, but I just ran naturally and it felt great.

Overall I am super pleased with my new shoes so far.  I will take it nice and easy and when necessary I will do a short run in the Altra's come back to my house and run the rest of my run with my Brooks.

I have an unexpected entry into a 10 mile race at the end of this month.  The cool thing is that since I'm in marathon shape and because I trained all winter I'm feeling really good about this.  I know I'll get a PR if all goes well.  Last year this is what I did... so this is what I'm officially competing against (1:47:35).  My crazy "A" goal would be to get 1:30, but anything faster than 1:47:35 would be awesome.  I'm running in place of my friend Linda.  I will be wearing an OAR singlet in honor of her mission to raise money for the Organization for Autism Research.  Go here to find out more or here if you'd like to donate funds to this extremely important cause.  Linda has been a huge support in helping me get to where I am today in my running.  This is a win/win situation for all parties involved.

Thanks for reading and I'd love to interact with you about what I've written.
#zerodrop
#OAR