Saturday, April 5, 2014

Negley park 9.5 mile run

Today I started my run at 5am.  I decided to run to Negley Park (since that was where my TNT friends would be running later on in the morning.

I decided to use a 2:30/1 run/walk/run ratio.  I ran at about 12 minute miles and it felt really good, aka AWESOME.  The loop was 9.5 miles and I did the entire run in my Altra Zero drop shoes.  I think this is probably the first "at least" 9 mile run where I truly believe I could have gone MUCH farther with no issues.

Obviously this run was very dark for almost all of it.  I didn't mind because I had my Knuckle lights.  I ran down my street to Front street and then ran a few miles down Front Street to the Walnut Street bridge AKA the walking bridge in Harrisburg.  I want around City Island and then across the Market Street Bridge toward Leymone.  The rest of this run was like my first run with TNT about 2 years ago (the day before I signed up to run the Marine Corps Marathon with TNT).  I don't mind this hill and I do consider hills my friends thanks to Coach Larry with TNT.

Overall this run was uneventful.  I do want to point out a few things I noticed.
1.  I saw my first skunk this spring on City Island.  I hope NOT become acquanited any further.
2.  I saw a cat close to the bank of the river.  I don't typically see them on that side of Front Street
3.  It took until almost 6:20am until I saw anyone out of their car (I had been running for 80 minutes by then.  I saw the guy on the Harvey Taylor Bridge.
4.  I did not see any other runners out at that time.
5.  I saw one guy riding a bike and one guy walking his dog.

I'm so grateful for the opportunity to run.  Other than my long run I did get in several runs this week.  I ran Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday after work.  My goal this week is to run more frequently in the AM because that doesn't impact my family as much as if I run in the evening.

I'm very excited about how running in the cold and wind for the race last Sunday has positively impacted my ability to get the job done with getting my runs in regardless of the weather.  Thursday evening it was raining fairly hard, but I went out anyway to prove to myself (no one else) that I can and will do what it takes to get out there.

The biggest lesson I learned from all of this that my running is tremendously important for me to cope with the stress in my life due to my job or other stressors.  I know my running buddies "get it" and if you're not exercising then I hope that my testimony helps you to see that it likely will work for you.  Just go out there do your best. 

I hope to see you out there on the roads.
#runhappy