Saturday, April 12, 2014

Spring Training 4/12/14 - 5 miles

This week of training went fairly well.  I made it out for two weekday runs and my typical Saturday run.  On Monday I had a half day at work (because of a dentist appointment) so I took a relaxing 3 mile out and back in the afternoon.  Thursday I did a "at least" 5.5 mile run also in the afternoon due to a random day off.  This run was fantastic because I ran with my friend John.  We used a 4/1 ratio on a familiar route (Negley).  I felt awesome during and after this run.  This has a well known "friend" after about a mile or so (and by friend I mean a hill).  Something that I learned on this run was that I really enjoy running in general, but that it is SO MUCH better when you have someone to run with you.

If you remember last fall I was one of three runners who had the great opportunity to be e-coached by Chris Twiggs.   He is the "right hand man" for Jeff Galloway.  I asked him if he would coach me to a sub 2 hour half marathon.  This is a goal that I had last year, but I KNOW that with effective training I WILL accomplish this goal.  It may not be at my goal race in September, but it WILL happen :-). 

Before you are concerned about me being so focused on time that I might lose the passion for running ... never fear.  My real long term goal is that I run until I'm 100 years old.  This is just a step along the way.  I know at some point in the future I won't be able to get faster, but today is not that day.

As a side note I absolutely love my Altra Zero Drop shoes.  They are very comfortable.  I was thinking during my run this morning that I bought them because of the large toe box, not so much because they were "zero drop."

Ok, back to my specific training.  I received a text from Chris yesterday afternoon asking me when I had run my last "magic mile."  I said sometime last year.  He had me run a total of 5 miles this morning with a magic mile (MM) in the middle.  My MM was 8:03 this morning.  I'll take it because that's only about 20-30 seconds slower than it was when I was training for Hershey last year (when I got my PR of 2:15:13).

I'm super excited to have this plan because I have struggled tremendously to get out of bed in the morning.  My goal this training cycle (and every cycle from now on) is to be CONSISTENT.  I don't want to wait until the evening to run because it likely won't happen... even if it does runs in the evening directly impact my time with my family.

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment or ask any questions.  #runhappy #lovespring