Saturday, May 10, 2014

Speed work - Week 4 BIH time goal training

This week I managed to get all my week day runs in as scheduled.  I did the first one Tuesday night I did a 5 mile run with my 2 1/2 year old daughter with the stroller.  It was challenging, but I did it.  I wonder if there are any half marathons that I can run with a stroller.  I guess I'll just keep my eye out for a race.  If you know one that you think doesn't prohibit running strollers.  I think it'd be amazing to cross the finish line of a half-marathon with my daughter :-).

The second run was on Thursday morning.  I had a 5 mile run with a "Magic Mile" (MM) included.  This is the "measuring stick" that Jeff Galloway uses to determine how fast I should running my long runs.  This is very helpful.  The cool thing about this MM is that it was the fastest that I've run since I've been an adult.  My best MM so far this year was 8:02 and was able to run this MM in 7:30.  The cool thing about this is that my first two miles didn't go that well and I was feeling very slow.  I was able to not allow this to discourage me, but rather it helped me :-).

Today, Saturday, I ran my 5x800 meter repeats.  I got to the track around 6am.  I will say I ran most of them too fast... but not intentionally too fast.  Oh, and my Garmin said "low bat" so I just used my Ipod as my timer.  This worked decently

Goal:  4:15/800 meter repeat
Repeat 1:  2:07; 2:11=4:18 - a little too slow.  Not sure what happened on this one other than I thought I was closer than I was.
2:  2:02; 2:08=4:10 - over compensated
3: 2:10; 2:04= 4:14 - almost!  Just a second too fast
4: 2:03; 2:04=4:07 - very consistent laps, but still too fast - not intentional
5:  2:06; 206=4:12  - closer, but still too fast

It was a good week overall.  Still working on getting up every day at 4:30 or 5am.  This starts in the evening so I'm working on getting to bed earlier.