Saturday, June 28, 2014

Week 11- 11 miles BIH training

This week was a rough week.  I missed both of my weekday training runs for the first time during this training cycle.  I was sick with a cough and just felt lousy all week.

Fortunately today, Saturday, was different.

My plan was to run about 3 miles to the team in training run, run 5 miles with the team and then run home.  11 miles.  This is what happened and it went very well.  The best part of the run was when I was running with my TNT buddies.  I was able to talk about the Marine Corps Marathon and be an encouragement to those who are running it for the first time.

I stuck with the 2:30/1 run/walk/run ratio.  This worked well since it was quite hot for most of the run.  I was grateful for the wind.  The most important thing that happened during this run was being able to build friendships with fellow runners.  I ran with someone most of the way that I hadn't run with before.  We stuck together (neither of us were running to fast or too slow) and it was incredible just to be able to talk.  I don't remember even struggling at all going up to Negley Park.  We just took each interval and focused on that while talking and it made it fun.  I truly had a great time.

Running with others is what keeps me passionate and motivated with running.  Also when I have a cause that I believe in I also am motivated and passionate.

I decided to change my focus from just "I MUST get sub-2 hours" to I MUST trust the process and do each and every run to the best of my ability (with the 2 hour goal in mind, but not the focus).  Bottom line:  this is changing from a outcome oriented goal to a process related goal.

Can't wait until the next time I can run with my buddies.  I hope to be able to meet early to run on a more consistent basis as my schedule is changing over the next few months.

By the way, I truly enjoyed my ice bath today since it was so hot.  I'm glad I started ice baths in 2012 because that has really made a difference.  My legs feel like they could go out and run again in the morning.  I'm not going to do this because I want to start out the week right.

Until next time, have a great run!