Sunday, June 8, 2014

Week 8: 800 Meter repeats X 7

This week did not go according to plan, but I still go my runs in before the end of the week.  The most notable thing that happen this week was that my wife ran her first 5K race (she has done the Turkey Trot the past 5 years, but this is the first time I'm not there to push her).

On Tuesday evening I got in just over 3 miles.  There isn't much to report about this run.  I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that I was trying to get it in quick before spending some time with my family.

I did my second run of the week on Thursday.  I am sad that I didn't get to run on National Running Day.  I did a little over 2.5 miles as warmup and then I did my magic mile (MM).  I was having GI issues so I almost didn't even do this run.  My desire was to do the best I could knowing that I wasn't feeling that great.  I ran my MM in 8:09 (my best is 7:30).  Considering everything I was happy with my effort, not so much with the time (but I'll get over it :-) ).

Today I did my 7 X800 meter repeats.  Again, I was having GI issues, but by the afternoon I was feeling better.  I must say if my goal wasn't a sub 2:00 half marathon I wouldn't have made it out today.  Here's the results... not the greatest, but it was in the mid 80s.  Very thankful for the breeze.  Actually I did most of them too fast.  Goal 4:15
1: 1:59 and 2:09 - total 4:08
2:  1:56 and 2:10 - total 4:06
3:  2:10 and 2:10 - total 4:20 (consistent, but too slow)
4:  2:12 and 2:06 - total 4:18
5:  2:12 and 2:07 - total 4:19
6: 2:08 and 2:09 - total 4:17
7:  2:06 and 1:59 - total 4:05 (I smoked the last one way too fast! - fastest one was the last one

Thanks for reading and I hope to have a more exciting update next week.

Word of wisdom: Don't underestimate the power of an encouraging word or text.  YOU know who you are and thank you very much!

"have a good time and your time will be good" - says John W