Friday, September 19, 2014

23 Mile training run

Today it became quite real that I am training for the Harrisburg Marathon November 9th!  I'm going to keep this post brief, but I wanted to mention a few highlights.  First, most of my run was in the shade which was wonderful.  I ran a part of the greenbelt that goes around Harrisburg that I had never run on before.  I also connected a portion of the green belt that I typically run with a part I had never seen before.

Second, I appreciated being able to run out in the fairly cool weather.  I was wearing what I typically would wear in the summer and I saw some people wearing sweaters.  I would say until the last 3 miles I did not feel hot.

Third, I appreciated being able to have the time to run on a Friday.  My old schedule would have made that difficult if not impossible.  It was nice to knock it out and get the job done.

I ran on some of the race course today.  I did do the hills of Wildwood.  I have a greater appreciation for what that experience is going to be like on race day as my legs were tired when I got to those hills. I made and it and with a smile on my face.  I eat hills for breakfast.

That actually leads to another important point.  I did not eat anything before I went out for this run.  This was not a good thing, but I did not have anything I had tested before that I could eat.  I felt the negative ramifications of this at mile 20.

My fueling:  I had my Nathan hydration.  This worked well and I was grateful for the water fountains still working at wildwood.  I'm not sure I could have made it without the additional water.  Other than that all I had was hammer nutrition the gel.  This was not enough for this run.  This is good information that I can use to make my 26 mile training run go more smoothly.  This run will happen on Friday October 10th.  I have a writing seminar that is of utmost importance on Saturday the 11th.  I'm not sure if I'll have clients that day or not, but hopefully any clients I schedule will be after lunch and I can get it in early.

Anyway, that's my update.  I have a lot more to say and if you want to know my thoughts feel free to comment or ask me when you see me in person.  Thanks for reading and please comment with your questions.