Saturday, April 15, 2017

Galloway Customize Training Week 5

This week I was able to do a tempo run and my first hill workout!

I'm not sure if sharing my exact results is helpful or not, but here's the link for my tempo run.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1670210392
 I was able to hold a pace that was faster than what my last magic mile would have projected.

In the coaching video call on Tuesday, I was able to resolve to issues I was having. Coach Chris shared how I could make my shoes not slip. I was having trouble with my right shoe rubbing and causing problems. I also upgraded my socks which really helped.

On Wednesday morning I headed out without my Garmin to do my hill workout. I did the bottom 1/4 of a hill that I used to think of as somewhat challenging, but this drill makes running it fun. Since I like to eat hills for breakfast :-). I made sure that I shortened up my stride and that helped keep me strong.

Thursday and Friday I just made sure that I got as close to my 10K steps for my fitbit as possible. No real exercise happened on these days (per the schedule).

This afternoon I went to Messiah College to do my 6x 400's.
the target was 2:42 according to the calculation of a 9:30 Magic Mile.
My times for the 6 laps were:
1 - 2:45
2 - 2:36
3 - 2:32
4 - 2:32 (yes exactly the same as repeat 3)
5- 2:26
6- 2:34

Looks like it ranged from 2:26 up to 2:45. My target was 2:42

Since it was "fairly easy" to run faster than the 2:42 and I was able to run faster than the targeted race pace during Monday's tempo run I will be running a new Magic Mile on Monday.

I'm not going to allow myself to be overly stressed about the result, but I'm going to give it a lot more effort and push myself. I will let you know the result next week!

I hope these are helpful to understand my experience of being coached by Coach Chris. I keep saying that it's all about accountability. I put myself out there to see what I can accomplish. My running impacts every other aspect of my life so I'm looking forward to seeing how all of this works out in the next 5 months!

Thanks for reading!